[rescue] wanted: diskimage for sun3 architecture

Kevin Loch kloch at gurunet.net
Wed Oct 15 00:10:46 CDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Birdsall" <jwbirdsa at hotmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 0:10 am
Subject: Re: [rescue] wanted: diskimage for sun3 architecture

> SCSI ID 3 has nothing to do with it. The 3/60 predates the pizzabox
> Sparcs,where the 3/0 inversion started, by a good while. When you
> tell it to boot
> from sd(0,0,0), it looks for SCSI ID 0, and SunOS for sun3 arch
> does not do
> the 3/0 inversion either: by default, sd0 is ID 0 lun 0, sd1 is ID
> 0 lun 1,
> sd2 is ID 1 lun 0, etc.
>
> I'm speaking here as somebody who is running a 3/60 at this very
> moment as a
> production server.

James is also speaking as someone who knows his shiat when
it comes to old Sun hardware.  I can only imagine how much
old hardware has been put back to use because of his hardware
guide.  Especially back before Sun put the hardware reference
online (for free).

> At this very moment, I'd advise running NetBSD on it, but if you
> have to
> have SunOS, make 4.1.1 tapes. By 4.1.1, the install process was pretty
> slick -- boot the first tape and it drops you into a curses UI
> which leads
> you through the process.

Sure, 4.1.1_U1 was the last SunOS to run on that machine, but
he said something about wanting to run the oldest possible OS
on it.  I got 3.5 running on a 3/260 with no problems.  I wrote
the 5 tape images onto 5 qic60 tapes (even though they were originally
on 20 meg tapes).  I don't remember the tape boot command, but it
was not as straightforward as the 4.1.1 tape.  It is in google
somewhere.  Some day I will try a modern tape drive (DAT) and see
if I can install from that.

KL