[rescue] wanted: diskimage for sun3 architecture

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Wed Oct 15 00:05:30 CDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 00:10, James Birdsall wrote:
> SCSI ID 3 has nothing to do with it. The 3/60 predates the pizzabox Sparcs,
> where the 3/0 inversion started, by a good while. When you tell it to boot
> from sd(0,0,0), it looks for SCSI ID 0, and SunOS for sun3 arch does not do
> the 3/0 inversion either: by default, sd0 is ID 0 lun 0, sd1 is ID 0 lun 1,
> sd2 is ID 1 lun 0, etc.

I seem to recall boot drives on sun 4 VME series machines (4300, 4400)
being ID3...  I'd really have to go looking... I'm sure it is covered in
the FE handbook....

I only have 3 Sun3 machines of which I haven't done much with either...
I just though I had recalled the id 3 thing existing with them too...
but your Sun-3 knowledge is fresher as you are running one :-)

> I'm speaking here as somebody who is running a 3/60 at this very moment as a
> production server.

I'm quite curious.... production ?  What is it used for ?  What OS
(SunOS, NetBSD) ?

> At this very moment, I'd advise running NetBSD on it, but if you have to
> have SunOS, make 4.1.1 tapes. By 4.1.1, the install process was pretty
> slick -- boot the first tape and it drops you into a curses UI which leads
> you through the process.

Just pray you never have to build a kernel..... did that on 3/80 ...
ouch ! (NetBSD)