[rescue] VOIP

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Mon Oct 13 18:04:49 CDT 2003

--On Monday, October 13, 2003 4:36 AM -0700 Lionel Peterson
<lionel4287 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> GPS service (or terrestial triangulation) is coming, my phones have it,
> but when will my 911 service support it?

AFAIA, all gps-enabled phones have the gps turned off
by default.  My understanding is that it takes a 3rd
party application to utilize.

As such, it's clearly intended for the business market
(where is that delivery driver, anyway?) rather than
individuals.  After many hours of Nextel sales training,
I can come to no other conclusion.

If you want to be able to pinpoint your location on
the road in case of emergency, as an end-user/consumer,
at this point, you'd be better off with OnStar or
LoJack.  Of course, this does not really help if you
are not in a car.

=Nadine=