[rescue] Rescued RS/6000

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Oct 5 07:21:11 CDT 2003

Jochen Kunz wrote:
> Well, depends on his personal preference. NetBSD/prep runs well once
> you get around the broken installation. But given that NetBSD/prep has
> no Xserver, AIX is the way to go if you want a machine with X11.

Except for the fact that he's rescuing a nice box from the dump (which
is good in itself), what's the difference between running NetBSD
headless on it or a PC (besides the endian things), or on an old
PowerMac?

I would think that AIX makes it "special", and it would be worth a fair
amount of effort to obtain it and get it running.

I have very little time to spend on these things, so I work on something
until I run out of time, steam, or needed things. Then it goes on the
shelf to be "played with" in rotation, or I give up and pass it on.
For me, another Linux or BSD box would be worth my time if I had
something to use it for, such as a firewall or print server.

But an AIX box would have something I have little (not since 1992)
experience on and would be worth spending my time on. Right now I have
two A/UX boxes on a shelf (working about 90%, waiting for me to fix
"top"); a Sparc 5 clone waiting for me to do something with it, and a PC
(oh well) to run ESIX, if I could find my other two toshiba CD-ROM
drives (the one I was going to use turned out to be broken).

In the last few weeks, besides starting a business which has taken up 18
hours a day for the last four months and setting up my home/office
network, I just put together a linux box to play videos on my TV for my
children. It was not my choice of hardware, but the price was right.

Now, my five year old wants his own PC. Of course, he has to have what they
have at school. :-)

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com 972-54-608-069