[rescue] Weird Silicon Graphics o2 graphics issues

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Thu Oct 2 01:48:00 CDT 2003

> Sure. I used Mozilla on a 8 bit Xterminal and on an old Alpha with 8 bit
> TGA graphics card...

That reminds me of a problem on my SGI. I use my SGI Indy (the lowest,
R4600PC 100 MHz, 32M RAM, 8-bit graphics) as an X-terminal for my main
computer. tI mostly works fine but sometimes I run out of colors. In
this situation some applications behave well, do some dithering and all
is fine (ImageMagick, Qt programs). But some programis like Mozilla (and
all other browsers based on the mozilla core), mplayer etc show mangled
colormap. There are quite several of them.

I first thought it to be a Mozilla problem - I have seen distored images
like this before (like some videoconf tools on sparcolaris via a remote
little-endian X server), no biggie. But since there is no endian
conversion going on in my case and quite several applications fail this
way that used to work on my other 8-bit X servers, I started to suspect
a Xsgi probem. Now your talk about Mozilla & 8bit makes me think even
more that it is the SGI that is at fault.

The SGI runs IRIX 6.2, patched as up to date as I could 1.5..2 years
ago. Might this be some Xsgi bug, lack of RAM, ...?

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)