[rescue] decserver's

jodys at helluin.org jodys at helluin.org
Fri Nov 14 19:08:02 CST 2003

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 12:31:08AM +0000, Dan Williams wrote:
> Does anyone know if any of the decservers can be made to work backwards
> ie. as a console server.I have a few vaxen running and it would be handy
> to be able to connect to the console via the network.
> If not does anyone know of any cheapish alternatives. I don't have any
> other machines with spare serial ports to use.

I have used a DECserver 200/mc as a console server. The reverse
LAT stuff works fairly well. Not exactly the most secure option
unless you keep it on it's own private network, or just leave
it unconnected to the network. I had it running with a single
terminal connected and over the network using latd for linux.
I only had Sun machine consoles connected. Dunno about VAXen.
YMMV.

Jody