[rescue] anyone have practical exp. with fssnap ?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Nov 14 13:25:36 CST 2003

On 2003.11.14 19:33 Clayton Wheeler wrote:

> A friend of mine told me that there was some kind of snapshot option
> on the dump(8) command in FreeBSD nowadays,
Kirk McKusick implemented snapshots and background-fsck for BSD FFS/UFS
in FreeBSD. AFAIK this is still experimental. (especially
background-fsck)

> and it wouldn't surprise me if
> somebody had implemented snapshots for Linux also.
The Linux LVM can do snapshots of volumes. You have to bring the file
system on the volume into a clean state prior to taking the snapshot. If
not, you get trouble with a unclean file system on the snapshot. If you
use XFS you can do this with xfs_freeze(8).
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen