[rescue] anyone have practical exp. with fssnap ?

Clayton Wheeler csw at thirdshoe.net
Fri Nov 14 12:33:00 CST 2003

On Nov 14, 2003, at 9:38 AM, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:

> All,
>
> Latest edition of SA Mag (samag.com) has an article on fssnap, which
> allows you to create a filesystem snapshot of your UFS filesystem.
>
> Has anyone used this?  Sounds like a neat feature...

Yeah, it works great for backups. Until my DDS changer croaked
(actually, turned into a tape-eating monster) I was backing up my home
file server (Solaris 9) with fssnap and ufsdump. All the dump man pages
I've read have strong warnings about dumping active file systems, and
using fssnap neatly solves that problem. Just make sure you delete the
snapshots; I filled up /var by leaving a snapshot open for a month...

This shell script makes the whole thing a little more manageable. I
cribbed half of it from the man pages, of course.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name of snapshot-backup]
A friend of mine told me that there was some kind of snapshot option on
the dump(8) command in FreeBSD nowadays, and it wouldn't surprise me if
somebody had implemented snapshots for Linux also.

--
Clayton Wheeler
csw at thirdshoe.net