[rescue] Challenge L Rescue

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Nov 12 10:55:14 CST 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 01:10:14AM -0500, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> Shannon Hendrix says ...
> > On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 02:05:38PM -0500, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> > > OK, the Tandem-badged Challenge L is in the house.  It runs, it
> > > boots, etc.
> > >
> > > Its a four-R4.4k processor IP19 with 1.5 GB of main memory:
> >
> > A friend of mine told me I could have one of these, with 4+ CPUs
> > and several RAM and controller boards.
>
> Two words: Get it.

Yeah, I should.

However, my friend has it in his colocation facility.  I might try to
make use of it there.  It would be interesting to put it to work making
money somehow.

It's a capable server machine for WWW applications.

> I'm running mine on an ordinary wall-socket, along with, umm, I dunno.  A
> refrigerator, some lights, whatever else is on the circuit.

Interesting.

> I'd love to have some of the stuff the electrician was smoking when he
> wired this place.  And once, just once, in my life I'd like to live in
> a house with enough electrical serivce, wired in a sensible way.

Same here.  What is the deal with putting the bare minimum power in
places?  Even appliances can overload most house wiring I have seen,
even new houses.

> > Anyone know what the real power requirements are for one as above, and
> > with maybe 4 hard drives?
>
> This one has 3 HVD hard drives, a CD-ROM, a 150 MB tape, and an Exabyte
> tape.  4 processors, 1.5 GB RAM.  That ain't maxed, by any means, but it's
> no stripper, either.

Ever measured the A/C draw?  A friend of mine has a rate meter for
measuring computer systems, but can't get it working.

> Probably, but I don't see it in the Owner's Manual.
>
> My problem isn't the weight, or the size or the power comsumption.  My
> problem is finding something for it to do.

I think I could use it to replace my Sun SS5 as a gateway, and also all
the server processes I need, plus I could restart some projects I have
had to kill due to the SS5's lack of horsepower.

But I really need to find a way to put the machine to work for $$$ if
possible.