[rescue] Challenge L Rescue

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Mon Nov 10 00:10:14 CST 2003

Shannon Hendrix says ...
> On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 02:05:38PM -0500, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> > OK, the Tandem-badged Challenge L is in the house.  It runs, it
> > boots, etc.
> >
> > Its a four-R4.4k processor IP19 with 1.5 GB of main memory:
>
> A friend of mine told me I could have one of these, with 4+ CPUs
> and several RAM and controller boards.

Two words: Get it.

> I have never gotten it because it seems like it would be too large and
> draw too much power (I have a single 15A circuit for my two Sun's and a
> PC).  Nothing else is over 15A.

I'm running mine on an ordinary wall-socket, along with, umm, I dunno.  A
refrigerator, some lights, whatever else is on the circuit.  I'd love to
have some of the stuff the electrician was smoking when he wired this place.
And once, just once, in my life I'd like to live in a house with enough
electrical serivce, wired in a sensible way.

> Plus, the thing was big and heavy.

Aye, matey, it is that.  Shipping weight is 300 lbs.  It's a
couple-of-feet-or-so on a side.  Hurts like hell when you roll it over your
toe.  And did I mention is was big and heavy.

> Anyone know what the real power requirements are for one as above, and
> with maybe 4 hard drives?

This one has 3 HVD hard drives, a CD-ROM, a 150 MB tape, and an Exabyte
tape.  4 processors, 1.5 GB RAM.  That ain't maxed, by any means, but it's
no stripper, either.

> The manuals I found for it pretty well list maximum power draw only.

SGI doesn't want "your goddam machine burned down my office building"
complaints.

> Don't most systems like this have a document somewhere that gives you
> piece-by-piece power consumption?

Probably, but I don't see it in the Owner's Manual.

My problem isn't the weight, or the size or the power comsumption.  My
problem is finding something for it to do.

-Shel