[rescue] Exabyte 8500S - oui ou non?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Wed Nov 12 10:22:40 CST 2003

 Mike Hebel says ...
> On Wednesday, November 12, 2003, at 09:42 AM, Ross Alexander wrote:
> >
> > I've been doing my daily backups on a Sun badged 8500 for over a year
> > now with no problems. Much more reliable than any DAT drive I've used.
>
> Yes and much sloooower too.  I have an 8505xl here that I don't have
> set up at the moment.  It's supported under Linux and most other OS as
> well.
>
> It really slow though - it's "Start the backup, go make a pot of
> coffee, watch Forbidden Planet on DVD, come back and maybe it's done"
> slow.
>
> But for unattended backups it's fine.  I just wouldn't want to wait
> around for it to work.

Well, I'm currently using a DDS-2 drive for backups, and it's both small
_and_ slow.  The DDs-2's 2 GB capacity is a pain I'm attempting to alleviate
with the 5 GB 8500S.  Slow is OK; I run a backup script in the middle of the
night.  The DDS-2 takes about an hour per GB.  If the 8500S is about the
same, I'll be OK.

-Shel