[rescue] Exabyte 8500S - oui ou non?

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Wed Nov 12 10:03:59 CST 2003

On Wednesday, November 12, 2003, at 09:42 AM, Ross Alexander wrote:
>> If the drive itself is OK, I'd like to use it, but I can't get much
>> of a
>> feeling for the reliability and interchangesability of the thing.  Is
>> the
>> 8500S generally a reliable drive?  Will it write tapes something else
>> can
>> read?  Will it write tapes _it_ can read? If I use the thing, what
>> should I
>> look out for, as symptoms of an impending problem?
>
> I've been doing my daily backups on a Sun badged 8500 for over a year
> now with no problems. Much more reliable than any DAT drive I've used.

Yes and much sloooower too.  I have an 8505xl here that I don't have
set up at the moment.  It's supported under Linux and most other OS as
well.

It really slow though - it's "Start the backup, go make a pot of
coffee, watch Forbidden Planet on DVD, come back and maybe it's done"
slow.

But for unattended backups it's fine.  I just wouldn't want to wait
around for it to work.

Mike Hebel