[rescue] Bigger Iron at Home (was: SNMP, Baby!)

Magnus Hedemark magnus at yonderway.com
Tue Nov 11 15:44:30 CST 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Kevin Loch wrote:

> It's not a old fashioned as you think.  I think that configuration
> started in the 1950's (and diddn't last very long).

It's much older than that.  My mother is the first generation in my family
that I can find where the woman went to work (outside of the WWII years
where my paternal grandmother was a welder at Westinghouse while my
grandfather was out in the Pacific theater enlisted in the Navy).

Going back to my grandparents on back to the Revolutionary War, every
generation of women has remained at home to care for the family while then
men were at work.  My records before then get very spotty.

My maternal grandmother clarified a lot for me.  Even during the war, she
didn't have to work as the Navy paycheck was enough to take care of her
family.  my wife was working at the time and trying to figure out how to
make ends meet as we were planning for kids and the obvious time off that
this brings.  Turns out we only needed two jobs to pay for all the sh*t we
were buying.  Our life is more simplistic now, and my income is plenty for
both of us.  She loves being home to watch the kids grow up and be an
active role in that.