[rescue] Mac Hints needed

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Tue Nov 4 09:20:49 CST 2003

Lionel Peterson said ...
> --- "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:
> > Keep in mind that the original Mac had even less memory than the
> > original IBM PC, and that most of the actual magic was set in stone
> > (from compatibility's sake) due to being in ROM.
>
> I thought the original IBM PC had 64K and the original Mac had 128K,
> the original IBM PC could be *expanded* to more than the original Mac
> though...

I think the _original_ original IBM PC was 16 KB RAM with storage on an
audio cassette.  I was using an Altos Z80 machine at the time, with MP/M and
two 8" floppy drives, "networked" to a shared Corvus Constellation hard
drive with a rompin' stompin' 5 MB of space.  We couldn't fill it up.  I
thought the PC was a bad joke.

It got better in a hurry, though; the IBM PC AT wasn't bad at all, given the
environment of the day.

-Shel