[rescue] Mac Hints needed

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Mon Nov 3 16:17:53 CST 2003

On 2003-11-03 21:26, N.Miller wrote:

> I always thought the difference b/w an "old world" Mac and a
> "new world" Mac was G3-ness/net-booting, and beige G3's *will*
> net-boot.  But apparently it's the hardware ROM.

Correct. Old World Macs have actual ROMs, New World Macs have "ROM in RAM",
they load their ROM from disk at boot time. The first New World Mac was the
iMac, then came the Blue & White G3, and the Lombard PowerBook. In short, a
New World Mac has built in USB ports, an Old World one doesn't.

> This explains why you have to have a small Mac OS partition and
> a boot loader to boot from a non-Mac OS on old world Macs (I
> wonder if AU/X is recognized as a Mac OS?).

No, that has to do with the presence of Open Firmware (similar to Sun's
OpenBoot). Open Firmware was introduced in the PCI PowerMacs, quite a while
before the New World architecture.

A/UX, as said, precedes that even further, it ran on 68K Macs. But it was
booted from Mac OS, since non Open Firmware (NuBus and earlier) Macs cannot
boot anything but Mac OS, natively.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?