[rescue] OT: IRIX 6.5 installation on a Indigo2 R10k Impact

Barry Fujii barry at engr.webpipeline.com
Sun Jun 29 23:08:17 CDT 2003

> From: "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net>
> Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:01:22 -0500
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] OT: IRIX 6.5 installation on a Indigo2 R10k Impact
>
> On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Barry Fujii wrote:
>
>> Howdy everyone,
>> Im trying to get irix 6.5.11 installed on my indigo2 but after exiting fx
>> and starting the installer, the mini-root is copied over and the machine
>> appears to reboot or reset or something. The screen goes blank, the
>> indicators on the lcd monitor indicate zero signal.  The led on the front of
>> the machine indicates green and is not flashing indicating an error.
>
> It sounds like your monitor doesn't support the default resolution the
> video card is spitting out, which should be 1280x1024 at 60Hz,
> sync-on-green.

Just looked, its indeed running @ 1280 x 1024 @ 60 at the prom successfully.
If its initializing another mode, that would be unfortunate. Also, I just
tested a theory, while the PROM was active and the monitor was working at
this combination, I removed the video cable, the monitor indicates the same
'no signal' condition, the blinking power light and the non-illuminated a/b
video signal indicators.

So, it appears that once inst is running, the video signal is being output.

Now the next step would be to figure how to attach a serial cable to my g4
powerbook instead of pulling an intel box out of the garage or finding a 15
foot serial cable to reach my openbsd box...