[rescue] OT: IRIX 6.5 installation on a Indigo2 R10k Impact

Barry Fujii barry at engr.webpipeline.com
Sun Jun 29 23:00:36 CDT 2003

> From: "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com>
> Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:40:06 -0400
> To: "The Rescue List" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: RE: [rescue] OT: IRIX 6.5 installation on a Indigo2 R10k Impact
>
> Barry Fujii said ...
>
>> Howdy everyone,
>> Im trying to get irix 6.5.11 installed on my indigo2 but after exiting fx
>> and starting the installer, the mini-root is copied over and the machine
>> appears to reboot or reset or something. The screen goes blank, the
>> indicators on the lcd monitor indicate zero signal.  The led on
>> the front of
>> the machine indicates green and is not flashing indicating an error.
>
> Sounds grim.
>
>> Things I have tried:
>> Performed full system tests from the PROM
>> Reseated the graphics card, drive, etc
>> Tried the graphics card in multiple slots
>>
>> Tried the 6.5 base installation tools cd
>
> Are you following the instructions on
> http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/6.5inst.html?

Yes

It got on there somehow before... Just have to figure out how :).

And to think I already went out and found a 3com 597 card for it... Drat.
(yes, I removed it, the installer pukes out reading some of the registers on
it)

Does anyone actually know what is *supposed* to happen once the mini-root is
copied over? Im guessing inst is supposed to run, but it really looks like
its trying to boot the mini-root.