[rescue] OT: IRIX 6.5 installation on a Indigo2 R10k Impact

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sun Jun 29 22:40:06 CDT 2003

Barry Fujii said ...

> Howdy everyone,
> Im trying to get irix 6.5.11 installed on my indigo2 but after exiting fx
> and starting the installer, the mini-root is copied over and the machine
> appears to reboot or reset or something. The screen goes blank, the
> indicators on the lcd monitor indicate zero signal.  The led on
> the front of
> the machine indicates green and is not flashing indicating an error.

Sounds grim.

> Things I have tried:
> Performed full system tests from the PROM
> Reseated the graphics card, drive, etc
> Tried the graphics card in multiple slots
>
> Tried the 6.5 base installation tools cd

Are you following the instructions on
http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/6.5inst.html?

> Ive been using the following commands to invoke fx and the installer
> boot -f dksc(1,6,8)sash64 dksc(1,6,7)stand/fx.64 --x
>
> Ive found a few posts on USENET but nothing substantive regarding what the
> possible problem is.
>
> I received the machine with irix 6.5 installed, and after recovering the
> root password I decided to reinstall on a larger 18gb disk instead of
> keeping the smallish 4gb disk, so im pretty sure 6.5 works on
> this machine.

6.5.11 works on my I^2, but installing it was a bitch.

> The only things I havent tried are changing from a regular ps/2
> keyboard to an sgi keyboard, same with the mouse.

Nah, that ain't the problem.  I'm using a PS/2 keyboard, and the SGI mouse I
have _is_ a PS/2 mouse.

> But my understanding is that both
> should work, they seemed to work just fine with the old irix installation
> and within the PROM command monitor. I have not tried setting the
> console to
> serial yet, and would like to save that for a last effort.
>
> Anyone have any ideas or insights into this?

Other than the link above, my assurance that it can be done, and my
sympathy, no.  I honestly don't remember having that problem during
installation; my problems were trying to get it to read and understand all
the disks, and to resolve the conflicts.

I'll be happy to help, as I'm sure are other list members more experienced
and intelligent than I, so keep us informed.

-Shel