[rescue] Re: G5 case

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Fri Jun 27 16:19:00 CDT 2003

On Friday 27 June 2003 22:59, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> > Define "better".
>
> 1) Something that isn't so damned chatty.  For a networked window
>    system, it appears to assume that bandwidth is free.
> 2) Something that can upload small amount of code server-side (like
>    NeWS)--this would go impressive lengths to solving #1.
> 3) Something with a not-nearly-as-easy-to-fuck-up configuration system.
>    XResources blows!
> 4) How about a standard widget set that -doesn't- look like ass[0] so
>    that not everyone and their brother goes around making a new one to
>    avoid paying $bigNum for the one standardized (but commercial) widget
>    set?

Hmmm... use an open source one?

> 5) Authentication that's a little less insane.  Ever had xauth just
>    decide one day that Something had changed?  Invariably, this happens
>    when you need a display RIGHT NOW, so you end up falling back on
>    xhost, anyway.

No, I hadn't.

> 6) Perhaps a less fragile method of inter-application communication than
>    XSHM and the clipboard.
> 7) Something with a more coherent idea of a "session".  Getting XSM to
>    DWIM never ceases to be an all-day affair.

What to what? :)

> > There has flown a lot of ink and bytes over the question wether X
> > isn't an old bloated piece of crap not adapted to todays' desktop
> > users' needs and if id needs to replaced.
>
> X isn't bloated.  Well, it is, but not in terms of feature creep:
>
>    PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE    TIME    CPU COMMAND
>  22908 root       1  59    0   53M   46M sleep    3:56  0.64% Xsun
>
> As much as I hate to say it, the GUI in Windows XP doesn't eat that much
> memory, and these numbers are a -huge- improvement over older versions
> of Xsun that leaked memory like sieves.

Xfree86 leakes somewhat too, expecially older versions in the 4.x series.

> However, that may largely be a Sun problem.  The numbers I'm getting
> from the AIX systems here are much nicer, but they also are just
> displaying the login banner instead of 10 rxvts and a window manager.

I am not too sure abotu the feature creep either, but it seems no facts about
X actually exist, only wild rumours *sigh*. In any case, monitoring mem usage
of Xfree86 seems impossible, often it will do stuff like counting video
memory in he total and such. Most of the memory adressed to X are probably
textures and image data too.

> > Btw, there ARE new guis in development. The most well-known are probably
> > Berlios (which doesn't seem to get anywhere)
>
> Is that what used to be called "Berlin"?  I remember reading about that
> years ago and thinking it was really slick.

http://www.berlin-consortium.org/
That's it, Berlin, not Berlios :)
They renamed it to Fresco however.

--