[rescue] Re: G5 case

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Fri Jun 27 16:03:44 CDT 2003

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 03:59:40PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> X isn't bloated.  Well, it is, but not in terms of feature creep:
>    PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE    TIME    CPU COMMAND
>  22908 root       1  59    0   53M   46M sleep    3:56  0.64% Xsun
> As much as I hate to say it, the GUI in Windows XP doesn't eat that much
> memory, and these numbers are a -huge- improvement over older versions
> of Xsun that leaked memory like sieves.

http://www.unixguide.net/sun/faq/5.53.shtml

Why is Xsun such a memory pig, especially on the SX, S24 and FFB?

Ps counts the mappings for the framebuffer as memory.
Especially on the FFB where a number of different mappings
of the device address space is used to optimize
access this can cause large amounts of memory, but not
physical memory, to be mapped and shown by ps.

It's not unusual for the FFB+ (Creator3D) to show a 500MB
process size for the X server.

Solaris 2.3 FCS also has a number of Xsun memory leaks when using
the SX. Get the SX patches or upgrade to a later release of
Solaris 2.x.

/usr/proc/bin/pmap (new in 2.5) will show the exact mappings used
by Xsun. "pmap -x" (new in 2.6) will even show how much of each
mapping is shared/private resident, etc. If Xsun has a memory leak,
you'll see a huge "[heap]" with pmap.

--
bill bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net