[rescue] Re: G5 case

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Thu Jun 26 00:40:02 CDT 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, C. Magnus Hedemark wrote:

> > However, yes, 2.4 works well for sun4m NOW, but 6 months ago
> > it was hit and miss, some people it worked for, many it didn't.

> That's true of all major kernel releases.  It takes awhile to shake the
> bugs out.

But the thread originally had someone complaining that debian
stable didn't support 2.4 kernels by default.  I explained
that debian supports many architectures and 2.4 wasn't
ready for prime time on all of them.  Then I was told that
2.4 supported lots of architectures.  Then I pointed out
sun4c and sun4m support in 2.4.  Now I'm being told that
the lack of support is normal.  Maybe I'm asking a little
much, but could we read the rest of the thread instead
of just having fun jumping on every little the to try
and tell me I'm wrong?

> But six months ago, it was definitely working for me.  In fact sun4m
> was working much better than sun4u for me at the time.

I saw a LOT of traffic on the Debian lists about problems getting
sparc32 systems working.  Maybe it did work for you, but it seems
you were the exception, especially since the sparc maintainers
expressed frustration about the condition of 2.4 support.

--Kurt