[rescue] SparcCenter 2000E on Ebay

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com
Wed Jun 25 22:22:44 CDT 2003

N. Miller [mailto:vraptor at promessage.com] said on Wednesday, June 25, 2003
9:20 PM

>Explain to me how shining light at another person to knock them out
>is more demonstrative than that "paintball silliness"?  Yes, lasers
>can be used at longer distances (some would argue unreasonable distances
>compared with the accuracy of most soldiers' weapons).  Laser systems
>really don't work that well for night training, either.

Points taken but MILES isn't visible light.  I'd never played with MILES
above the platoon level but supposedly you can fit any direct-fire weapon
with one .... and the receiver can discriminate distance, what hit what (so
plinking a tank with an M16 is useless.

> (My understanding is that MILES does not register hits on anything other
than the vest and headgear.)

That is true - sensors on helmet, and vest.

The point being, I think, is that

1. You need to train the way you play.  I'd hate learning the habits and
what-not that go with shooting a paintball gun, then applying the same to my
issue weapon.  I've seen too many instances of people learning to do things
the wrong way and being told "you'll do X in combat, even though you do Y
here".

2. Combat is combined arms - you need to incorporate all the tools - heavy
weapons, indirect fire, logistics, blah blah blah

But, yah, I can see paintball in limited situations; forced entry, SWAT
style assaults and etc.  It still sounds odd, damned odd, though.  I must be
getting old.

~brian