[rescue] Re: G5 case

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Wed Jun 25 11:25:19 CDT 2003

> >> Given the fiasco over the 2.4.x kernel series, especially the versions
> >> current at the time of the release of woody, it strikes me as pretty
> >> sensible that the stock kernel remains a well-tested version 2.2 kernel.
>
> > There were some problems early on, but they've been ironed out. The 2.4
> > kernel has been out and stable for a long time. More than enough time to
> > get stable updated.
>
> Umm, hello? This is *Debian* *stable* here.

No, it is *Debian* *terribly outdated but stable*.

> The only updates to stable are for security issues, and if the upstream
> policy is to release a new version, the fix will sometimes be backported to
> the current version to avoid making any change but the fix.

And the policy seems to be to never release a new stable
version, at least not in any sort of timely manner.

> Are you seriously suggesting that a security update should automatically
> change the kernel from 2.2.x to 2.4.x?

No, I'm suggesting that is is well past time for a
new stable release.

> If you don't like the stability of stable, go track testing or unstable.

I have, and found that Debian updating tools are
very poor.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net