[rescue] Re: G5 case

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Jun 25 10:32:02 CDT 2003

Eric Dittman <dittman at dittman.net> wrote:
[...]
>> Given the fiasco over the 2.4.x kernel series, especially the versions
>> current at the time of the release of woody, it strikes me as pretty
>> sensible that the stock kernel remains a well-tested version 2.2 kernel.

> There were some problems early on, but they've been ironed out. The 2.4
> kernel has been out and stable for a long time. More than enough time to
> get stable updated.

Umm, hello? This is *Debian* *stable* here.

The only updates to stable are for security issues, and if the upstream
policy is to release a new version, the fix will sometimes be backported to
the current version to avoid making any change but the fix.

Are you seriously suggesting that a security update should automatically
change the kernel from 2.2.x to 2.4.x?

If you don't like the stability of stable, go track testing or unstable.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key