[rescue] Re: G5 case

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Jun 24 22:51:40 CDT 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:

> My guess:
>
> A monkey eating a bagel and smoking crack.  Or maybe you are talking
> about the init process and not the dumb scripts I often see installed.

Both, actually.  I guess they don't come from the same group, do they?

> I am currently using OpenBSD on virtually all my server boxes.  I am
> happy with it, except for the multithreaded performance.

I haven't hit it hard with a lot of multithreaded stuff.  I don't think
OpenBSD has kernel-threads yet, but there's a lot of work happening in
that area, or, at least it seems to be from watching the lists.

> OpenBSD has got to be one of the very best documented OSes out there.
> You can literally read the man pages for RAID (raidctl) and then
> implement software RAID; or read the httpd man page and set up SSL.

Definitely.  While the typical answer to any OpenBSD from any OpenBSD
maintainer is "RTFM", you can actually -find- what you want to know in
"TFM".  Beyond that, the maintainers are really, really anal about
having good documentation that is grammatically correct.

> Am now trying Solaris 9 for OpenAFS and to test run the multithreaded
> app that also runs on OpenBSD.

AFS is one of those things that I've always wanted to play with, but
never had a chance (or real need) to.  My fiancee goes to MIT, and they
use AFS there.  It seemed to be -really- slick when it worked properly.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren