[rescue] Re: G5 case

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Tue Jun 24 22:37:02 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 10:36:47PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

>> On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Kevin wrote:

> init system comes from I have no idea whom.

My guess:

A monkey eating a bagel and smoking crack.  Or maybe you are talking
about the init process and not the dumb scripts I often see installed.

> > I do see much value in, and support, the "one company
> > making the hardware and software" concept.  I just
> > don't subscribe to the idea that that is the only way
> > things can work well.
>
> Me, neither.  Note that I never said Linux doesn't work well.  It just
> isn't as polished and seamless as what I'm used to.  Using IRIX,
> Solaris, or one of the BSDs is like reading a large tome written by one
> author.  Using a Linux distribution is like reading a collection of
> short stories; while the underlying theme may be the same, it's clearly
> not one contiguous work.

I am currently using OpenBSD on virtually all my server boxes.  I am
happy with it, except for the multithreaded performance.  OpenBSD has
got to be one of the very best documented OSes out there.  You can
literally read the man pages for RAID (raidctl) and then implement
software RAID; or read the httpd man page and set up SSL.

Am now trying Solaris 9 for OpenAFS and to test run the multithreaded
app that also runs on OpenBSD.

--Patrick