[rescue] Re: G5 case

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Jun 24 21:18:51 CDT 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Eric Dittman wrote:

> Linux isn't UNIX, but in name only.  There's really not
> much difference between Linux and a real UNIX.

There's a huge one.  Linux is just a kernel; the userland comes from
a few hundred different sources, and it shows.  BSD, just like SunOS,
IRIX, and the other "real Unixes" is a single, coherent product with a
much more polished feel.  I'm not going to use any distribution based
around RPM, and both Slackware and Debian lag too far behind the cutting
edge for me to use the official channels to stay current.

With *BSD, I do a cvs update, a make world, and reboot.

> As for VMware and *BSD, that's really not surprising.

No, not really.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren