[rescue] Apple WWDC Summary

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 17:11:30 CDT 2003

--- "Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366" <patrick at zill.net> wrote:

> However, I have come to the conlusion that while Sun can make good
> OSes, languages, libraries, and CPUs, they are hopeless when it comes
> to end user apps.  Try, just TRY, using their java-based SMC.

I wouldn't cal SMC an "end user" application... StarOffice maybe, but
Sun simply acquired/maintained an existing product there...

It is hard to enter the desktop hardware arena without going for
*massive* numbers (IMHO), which drives compromises into the design and
you wind up with systems comittees feel are "good enough" and meet
arbitrary price points (Javastation!). Apple, it seems to me, builds
the machines *they* want, trusting there are enough people like them
that can pay for a similar machine.

I'd consider one of the new Apple G5s, but the price point is way too
high right now... $2K for a desktop - ouch. (Then again, I did
*happily* pay more than that for my 550 MHz G4 Ti PowerBook...  No
regrets there. ;^)

=====
Lionel