[rescue] Apple WWDC Summary

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Tue Jun 24 13:01:41 CDT 2003

> I was talking about overall system capabilities, not cases.

   That's what I figured.

> I don't know how their cases measured up against Apple cases...

   Lesser of two evils, maybe? :7) I recall thinking of them as beige-box PCs
but with an Apple heart, and I think I fell in love with the fat 9600/early G3
cases around then, so maybe me memory is fogged.

> ...just that Power shipped machines with better video and faster
> CPUs than Apple's own machines had, for lower prices, and that
> Apple started shipping dual-processor Power Macs only in catch-up
> mode after Power Computing did it first.

   Agreed on all points. It was always sad that it took external competition
to push Apple forward that way. I always wondered if licensing was done as an
object lesson for the benefit of an internal audience, along the lines of,
"You think so, huh? All right, we'll do it your way." Reminds me of
discussions between spouses over, say, driving directions. (Purely
hypothetically, of course...)

> I personally continue to think Apple will remain nothing but a
> niche player as long as it remains a single-source supplier.

   Fine by me as long as I can keep playing with my new iPod.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator