[rescue] G5 case

flinters flinters at picarefy.com
Tue Jun 24 11:35:19 CDT 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Steve Hatle wrote:

> I like the new case.

> The outside is minimalistic, but functional. I think the addition of the I/O
> ports on the front was a long overdue inclusion, so I'm glad to see that
> made it.  I also like that they kept the handles, but in a much more
> understated form. The current generation case seems too "cartoonish" to me.
> The new case seems to emphasize that the real fun is under the hood- where
> it should be.

So.... what they did was build a PC.  Very revolutionary.  :)

I just feel that they took what was a nice design in cases that set them
apart and castrated it.  Yes, it is a very powerful box powered by IBM.
It just isn't a very interesting one in the eye candy department.  And
since Apple is now charging $129 for a bugfix/OS upgrade, I'd want to hvae
my Mac out where I can see and appreciate it, not hidden under the desk
from sight.

I have a friend down in Cupertino in the hardware design dept focusing on
monitors.  He say Steve was very big on Aluminum without the cost, so
expect to see a lot of shiny plastic silver boxes.  The idea is to 'fit
in' with the rest of the PC world instead of standing out and being
noticed.  I don't know if I agree or disagree with that policy.  Time will
tell.

I'm much more excited about the OS X:PC project where they are busy
porting OS X to the PC as a real product.  That has real potential.

* Flinthoof Ponypal                                                 *
* Vegaman Dan                                                       *
* http://jarmac.picarefy.com            Ponypics!                   *
* http://jarmac.picarefy.com/spitfire   1968 Triumph Spitfire       *
* http://jarmac.picarefy.com/roomies    Roomies! online comic strip *