[rescue] G5 case

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Tue Jun 24 11:20:44 CDT 2003

I like the new case.

The effort seems to have been put into a logical, efficient use of the space
inside- there's been effort to make sure cooling is not a problem, no rat's
nest of cables, etc. Lack of a second optical drive bay doesn't bother me,
since I'd like the choice of exactly which peripheral I'd want, and external
FW/USB devices don't bother me.

The outside is minimalistic, but functional. I think the addition of the I/O
ports on the front was a long overdue inclusion, so I'm glad to see that
made it.  I also like that they kept the handles, but in a much more
understated form. The current generation case seems too "cartoonish" to me.
The new case seems to emphasize that the real fun is under the hood- where
it should be.

It will be fun to see how the box performs in the real world, and if it's as
much a "floating point monster" as it seems it should be. One of these
tempts me to break my usual "buy one of last year's models, 'cause they're
cheaper" mantra and go whole hog. Once I find the money, of course <grin>

Steve