[rescue] Apple WWDC Summary

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Jun 24 10:51:15 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 08:31:44AM -0700, flinters wrote:
> I expect Macs to be intriguing, organic, fluid shapes that spark
> creativity and your artistic side.  All Mac products have been different
> from all the others in this manner and have set them apart nicely.

I don't think I can agree with that.  The majority of Macs, and
certainly just about everything prior to the iMac, have looked not
greatly different than commodity PCs.  It's only in the last few years
that Apple has come out with significantly non-traditional-looking case
designs (and started the fad of translucent fruit-flavored EVERYTHING).

> The specs on the G5 are wonderful.
>
> The case is..... well, as one person put it, "Sterile."
>
> Another phrase that caught my eye:  The all new Apple G5- Guts by Apple,
> Case by IKEA.  It is just missing a little fake wood trim.

Ew.  Self-adhesive vinyl trim?  Now that wood be tacky....

> Do I want one?  Yes.  Do I want a replacement case that looks more like a
> Mac and less like a PC from the 80's?  YES.

I'd sooner the brushed-aluminum case than translucent plastic in five
juicy fruit flavors.  I think the new case is really well thought out.
It's a machine to be used, not stood on a display table and admired.

> If Apple keeps this train of design up, they might even come up with a
> revolutionary BEIGE color for their metal computer boxes.  :)

Aagh!  I've been struck blind!  :)