[rescue] SparcCenter 2000E on Ebay

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Jun 23 05:24:51 CDT 2003

sammy ominsky wrote:

> Errr, where are you? Here in Baltimore, Maryland, USA we pay 4.5
> cents/kwh for residential. I have no idea what the commercial rate is.

When I lived in Philly (6 years ago) it wa 18 cents/kwh plus a surcharge
in the winter. Here in Israel it was 10 cents/kwh when I got here
(3 kwh to the Shequel, 3 Shequel to the dollar). The price held constant
while the Shequel declined to 5 to the dollar so it was down to 7 cents.

There was a big rise in the price of electricity to .40 shequel each,
and now the Shequel is 4.4 to the dollar, so its up to about 8 cents.

The bad news is that our apartment is wired for 25 amps at 230 volt.
Since it is rented we are stuck with it. If we owned it, we could upgrade
to 40 amps for about $1000, and max out at 3 phases of 40 amps for about
$2500. We would need permission of the electric company and have to pass
electrical inspection all over again. My guess is that would cost another
$1000 to bring the rest of the wiring up to modern specs.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com 972-54-608-069
Do sysadmins count networked sheep?