[rescue] SparcCenter 2000E on Ebay

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Sun Jun 22 15:25:58 CDT 2003

> Trying to compare a wrung-out old system with pathetic service vs. a
> far more robust and faster service system is also weak thinking.

Hum, for a wrung-out old system them European pinko commies managed to do
pretty good, let see:

>From the July 26th,2000 issue of the AMA (American Medical Association)
Journal, and I quote: "..in a comparison of 13 countries based on 16
health indicators, the U.S. ranked on average 12th. The countries included
in the study were, in order from the top-ranked (best health care) to the
lowest-ranked, as follows: Japan, Sweden, Canada, France, Australia,
Spain, Finland, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, Denmark, Belgium, the
U.S., and Germany. Of the 13 countries compared, only Germany ranked lower
overall than the U.S. In fact, the U.S. ranked dead last for three
indicators. These were low-birth-weight percentages, neonatal mortality
and infant mortality overall, and years of potential life lost. The U.S.
ranked 11th for life expectancy for females at one year and 12th for life
expectancy for males at one year."  These rankings do not paint a picture
of a country that has a "robust and faster service" usually being "strong
and quick" is not the best thing.

We can have even more fun, lets see on the "World Health Report . Health
Systems: Improving Performance" report release by the World Health
Organization in 2000. The US was ranked 37 out of 191 countries. In that
report it was also specified that hte US spent the highest percentage
(13.7) of it GDP on health care related expenses. So number 1 in expenses
to manage a 12 out of 13, and a 37 out of 191.... that doesn't seem to be
such a return in your investment.

But please do not let figures and facts get in the way.... As a
transplanted Euro who has experienced both systems I get really tired of
some people trashing our socialized ways when they have not experienced
anything but American way of doing things. But by all means, if you feel
comfortable putting your health in the hands of corporations who are
looking out for their profits first and your health second (or third) by
all means enjoy the treatment.

Now, back to your scheduled rescue program....