[rescue] I hope this is not a Hoax

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Sat Jun 21 00:15:40 CDT 2003

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> In the end only DG built systems in certain volume around 88Ks, with Apple
> and NeXT being close to deliver products. But they never did. There were
> also Motorola branded systems delivered using 88K, and I also believe
> Philips in Europe produced 88K systems. In Japan Omron released the Luna
> 88K which as a nice SMP desktop box -I believe Mach was developed using
> these machines in CMU- In the end there was not much volume to justify
> continued development... so most vendors jumped ship.

Back in the day....  =)  In '90-'91 I used a Motorola 88k based
machine...  It was on Computer Science House at RIT...  Later it
got upgraded to a multiprocessor machine.  It had much oomph
compared to the other systems online at the time (a VAX 11/780
and a CCI Tahoe).  I don't much recall what OS it was running,
although I think it was something system V based...

--Kurt