[rescue] I hope this is not a Hoax

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Fri Jun 20 21:01:50 CDT 2003

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:

> I think you are mistaken about this - was not the earliest Mach effort
> by Rick Rashid at CMU in 1982 or so?  Or perhaps that was the
> precursor to Mach.

I think that mach did not quite make it until '86 (at least some of the
papers I have from Rashid are dated on 86). You are correct though, I
should have not implied that mach was first implemented on Lunas, I think
it was mach3 the one that Omron and CMU collaborated on.

 > Motorola did have their own hw, it was funky in that you could
stack
> them on top of each other and the integral backplane would fit in and
> the expansion box would communicate with the system, no other cords
> needed.  I doubt they sold many however.

I believe most 88K systems from motorola were VME based, what you are
refering to is the powerstack machiens, which as far as I know they are
PPC based.