[rescue] SparcCenter 2000E on Ebay

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Fri Jun 20 19:30:09 CDT 2003

>From: "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net>
>
>On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Dave McGuire wrote:
>
>>    Eh...It'd drive up their profits IF their user base remained
>> constant.  I, for one, would stop using it...and I've spent a LOT of
>> money on eBay (like around $80K according to my spreadsheet) since '99
>> when I first started using it.
>
>It'd be a nice option for the seller to have.  Either the seller can
>have the auction end at an exact time, end some random number of seconds
>before or after an exact time, or be extended by 5 minutes every time
>there's a bid in the last 5 minutes of the auction.
>
>It wouldn't be any dumber than reserve auctions.  Reserves piss me off
>so badly that I won't bid on any item with a reserve, purely on
>principle.

"reserves" exist in real world auctions (well.. some of them).  I don't
see anything wrong with them.... it holds no appeal for a bidder/buyer,
but can be good for a seller (it costs more to list an item with a reserve).

I've bid on things with reserves... sometimes winning... sometimes meeting
or not meeting the reserve.

The best situation of a reserve auction I had as a buyer was when I won
the Ultra 60 Sun was auctioning on ebay.  I was after an Ultra 2, but the
bids were going too high at the time.  So, I decided for kicks to bid on
one of the Ultra 60s.  Turns out I won (at the opening bid)... and even
though I didn't meet reserve, Sun sold it to me (I was shocked).  It
came with a 21" true flat dual input monitor, 450MHZ CPU, 512M of RAM,
18 Gig drive, Solaris 7, type 6 keyboard + mouse, etc... for less than
what people were paying for lesser config'd ultra 2.  I could have sold
it and probably made up to $2000 (probably should have :-) ).

It is my primary computer system.  What I'm typing this on now.

I'd love to get a second proc, but I'm unemployed, and the procs are
still too expensive for me even on the used market.  Also a matching
18G drive to do mirroring would be good.