[rescue] A bit of Fun

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Thu Jun 19 23:14:18 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 11:41:00PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 07:58:26PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo
> +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
>
> > > I have two of them which get really hot, and I've not seen a good
> > > solution for it which doesn't involve case modifications like
> > > blow-holes, which prevent stacking.
> >
> > What about a smallish fan mounted near the back?  Just remove the
> > blanks where the SBus slots are.  I don't have a machine in front of
> > me though for reference.
>
> That really won't do much, plus you'll likely make things worse.
>
> A fan in the back will interrupt the right->left airflow the case is
> designed for.  You'll be sucking intake air out the back of the case
> before it has been able to pass over the hot stuff.
>
> The only viable solution is more input or more output the way its
> designed to move air.

Actually ....

I had an overheating problem once with an Axil S.320 with four 125MHz
Ross HyperSparcs.  The solution we eventually took, as advised by a
friend of mine who happened to be an Axil FE, was to simply swap out the
S.320 power supply for an S.420 power supply, which had a bit more
cooling capacity.

Before becoming aware that this option existed, though, I seriously
considered attaching a Peltier cooler (or several) and appropriate
heatsink(s) to the outside of the case directly above the CPUs.  I
figured with the entire case top nice and cold, I ought to be able to
suck a fair bit of heat out of the machine that way, since the top cover
normally became quite hot to the touch after an hour or two of
operation.  (It still got pretty warm after installing the uprated power
supply.)