[rescue] A bit of Fun and OT

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jun 19 22:14:37 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 08:27:13PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> > He just didn't follow through properly.
> >
> > And please, if he can't tie down a CPU, please don't let him near
> > Perl... :)
> >
> > I tied down some memory and I/O controllers once with wire.  Worked
> > great until we could order more clips.
>
> I have a sudden disturbing image of an enterprise system held together
> by safety-wire ....

Actually, it was solid-core 16 guage I believe.

It worked better than the real clips, it was just hard to take on and
off.

A pet peeve of mine is PCI bus. The whole idea of clamping the rear of
the card at the point of maximum leverage to pull the card OUT of the
slot just amazes me.

I also made the mistake of using a PeeCee AGP card tie one time, which
is supposed to keep the card from popping out. It worked. In fact, the
card has not since been out because neither I nor several other people
have been able to get the damned thing out.

The only way to cut it risks damage to the card! It basically has no
release at all.

I guess the idea is that since the machine is throw-away technology
anyway...