[rescue] How would you ship this

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Thu Jun 19 22:11:43 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 09:00:14PM -0500, Geoff Koehler wrote:
> True, but a word from the wise - I had my Challenge XL shipped up here
> from Mtn View for about $350 USD freight collect.  Consolodated
> Freightlines was the carrier.  But, instead of murdering my freinds, I
> hired two guys from the local moving company to hump it into my
> basement.  At 1000+ lbs, they earned their money that day, and they
> are insured in case it ever fell on them or ruined my house :(.

The moving company we used when we moved from Milpitas to San Jose
declined to move my (600lb empty) gunsafe upstairs to the top floor of
our new house.

Later, we discovered that by taking the inside shelves out, laying it
down, and lifting the door off the hinge pins, it broke down into two
main loads or around 250lb each which could be moved without too much
difficulty by two people.  This was very fortunate, because when we lost
the house and retreated to NC, all we had was a rented 28-foot
semi-trailer, and only friends and family to help us load and unload it.
Now we know we can do it, though.