[rescue] Is it the x86 hardware or the OS?

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com
Wed Jun 18 17:14:10 CDT 2003

Not (well, not really) trying to add fuel to the "is the x86 architecture a
pile of excrement or is it not" but this just happened on one of my servers.

We're using VMWare GSX Server (2.5) to host four VM machines.  Host is W2K,
VMs are W2K.

Restarted one of the VMs.  Reboot takes all of 20 seconds so I logged out of
the mgt tool and waited .. waited.  Realized it had been too long, logged
back in and was greeted, on the Virtual Machine mind you, with a blue screen
and the words

*** STOP: 0X0000007B (0xF741F84C, etc)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen<snip>

The boot device in question is a friggin file.  W2K halted because it
couldn't find it's drive ... which is really a file?

I'm sure there are some really good reasons _why_ this error popped - it
hasn't happened again - but it gives some ammo (or does it) to the idea that
there isn't really anything wrong with x86 and the finger can be pointed,
anecdotally, at the OS.

Brian Dunbar
System Administrator - Plexus
My insides are all torn from hardtack and parched corn
My hat flew in a windstorm, so the sun has turned me red
The first chance to lie still I pull out your bible
But fall fast asleep before one verse is read
Scott Miller 'Dear Sarah'