[rescue] OS/2 emulation

Rob Fielding rob at dsvr.net
Wed Jun 18 10:55:19 CDT 2003

Earl D. Baugh Jr. wrote:

>> From: Frank Van Damme <frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be>
>>
>> On Wednesday 18 June 2003 02:09, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>> > What's even more amazing is
>> > that DOS apps running in a DOS VM under OS/2 were faster than they
>> were
>> > running under "real" DOS.
>>
>> Better memory management I guess...
>

> I actually read a very interesting article (google is turning up a
> blank here,
> with the words...) a long while ago about the emulators
> IBM had written for, I believe it was, DOS  and Windows apps under OS/2.
> Apparently IBM had a very small group of developers "re-write" the stuff
> and they generated a significantly faster, smaller and more stable
> platform
> for running M$ apps than M$.    (This was also in an article that some
> emulation under a version of Windows actually generated a fault, which
> M$ had to "ignore" to actually run the app....they ran on a semi-crashed
> system.....gotta love that...)

Didn't M$ also keep moving the goal posts with respect to locations of
Windows in memory when OS/2 was remarketed as an add on to Windows3.x
when IBM started shipping a Windows less version - after OS/2 v3 I
think. M$ kept doing something underhand which ment subsequent versions
didn't work and had to be rejigged.

It totally sucked. OS/2 was waay the best operating system for PCs back
in the early to mid 90s.

Cheers,

Rob