[rescue] OS/2 emulation

Earl D. Baugh Jr. earl at baugh.org
Wed Jun 18 09:59:49 CDT 2003

>From: Frank Van Damme <frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be>
>
>On Wednesday 18 June 2003 02:09, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > What's even more amazing is
> > that DOS apps running in a DOS VM under OS/2 were faster than they were
> > running under "real" DOS.
>
>Better memory management I guess...

I actually read a very interesting article (google is turning up a blank here,
with the words...) a long while ago about the emulators
IBM had written for, I believe it was, DOS  and Windows apps under OS/2.
Apparently IBM had a very small group of developers "re-write" the stuff
and they generated a significantly faster, smaller and more stable platform
for running M$ apps than M$.    (This was also in an article that some
emulation under a version of Windows actually generated a fault, which
M$ had to "ignore" to actually run the app....they ran on a semi-crashed
system.....gotta love that...)

Earl

p.s. if someone else also remembers this article, let me know if they
know where I could find a copy...I'd love to have another copy....