[rescue] OS/2 anyone?

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Jun 17 19:27:35 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 07:09:51PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> Having run 2.1 and 3.0, I can verify this.  What's even more amazing is
> that DOS apps running in a DOS VM under OS/2 were faster than they were
> running under "real" DOS.  This goes doubly so if there was lot of
> hardware access (ie: games w/ sound, apps w/ printer stuff, etc.)

What was that slogan again?  "A better Windows than Windows, a better
DOS than DOS."

> I'll always have a special place in my heart for that quirky OS.

I always wondered why OS/2 never caught on.  It was so much better than
Windows.  Of course, it had its flaws ...  like you NEVER EVER EVER
installed OS/2 1.2 from the original master install disk, because if the
installer failed (which it did, about one try in two), it corrupted the
install diskette beyond the ability of even reformatting to correct.

(This was the 1.2 beta; that might have gotten fixed before release.)