[rescue] OS/2 anyone?

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Tue Jun 17 19:12:16 CDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> > Actually, as OS/2 went from 2.0 -> 2.1 -> 3.0 -> 4.0 it got faster, rather
> > than slower.

> Having run 2.1 and 3.0, I can verify this.  What's even more amazing is
> that DOS apps running in a DOS VM under OS/2 were faster than they were
> running under "real" DOS.  This goes doubly so if there was lot of
> hardware access (ie: games w/ sound, apps w/ printer stuff, etc.)

> I'll always have a special place in my heart for that quirky OS.

Me too.  My group at the time moved away from it, but other parts
of that company started using 4.0 and the PC support guy I was in good
with showed it to me.  He ran multiple browsers, cc:mail a CAD
program and Documentum[0] and the machine was quite responsive and
peppy.  Any Win3.1 or Win95 machine at the time would've died under
that load.

--Kurt

[0] A Document management system built on top of Oracle... It was bloated
and slow.  Fortunately, my job didn't require using it.