[rescue] Re: Perverse Question

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Jun 17 12:17:17 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 11:53:29AM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> Or your risumi.  Mine says that I was never unemployed, just
> self-employed.  Granted, sometimes I'd do no more than one job a week,
> but it'd (barely) pay the bills, and I'd consider myself a self-employed
> consultant.

You do have a point.

> If you tinker with software, hardware, or anything (rescuing[0]
> hardware--to stay on topic) you can be self-employed (especially if you
> get a d.b.a.) and never make a dollar.

d.b.a?  I'm unfamiliar with the acronym.  Oh, wait "doing business as"?

I've been considering formally registering Babylon Communications for,
oh, about seven or eight years and never got around to actually doing
it.

> Remember: MCSEs don't get in the door because they know anything.  They
> get in the door because they can spin and because they have brand
> association.  Tinkering on a 4/670MP in your garage isn't just fucking
> off time, it's "maintaining and repairing datacenter-grade Sun hardware
> with limited funds and available tools".

True.  I maintain a home network that's more sophisticated than some
companies I've worked for, and I know for a fact I have a hell of a lot
more horsepower attached to it than two of the last three companies I
worked for.

> If you actually -know- the stuff you're embellishing, I don't think it's
> misleading at all to put a spin on it.  Remember that the average joe
> sits in front of his TV drinking beer and watching "reality shows"
> whenever he's not working.  There is NO REASON that people who do
> technical stuff in their spare time should -only- get experience credit
> for the stuff they get paid to do.

Agreed ...  I've actually thought about this myself in the past, but
never really figured out the right way to put it on my resume.  The
self-employed consultant approach is certainly a valid one.  Thanks for
the suggestion.