[rescue] Re: Perverse Question

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Jun 17 12:06:39 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 12:40:12PM -0400, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> Phil Stracchino said ...
> > I have a nasty suspicion it's all downhill from there.
>
> I think you just have to change your approach.

True, sometimes it's just a matter of approach.  I just can't seem to
find the right one.  Let me state, too, that in this context I'll be the
first person to admit that my jobhunting skills frankly suck 18-wheelers
through capillary tubing.

> I managed to limp along, consulting, until I got into a slightly different
> "circle" and met folks who work for my present employer.  We're not cutting
> edge, but experience, especially experience crafting stuff that works the
> first time and doesn't cause problems later, is highly valued.  I couldn't
> be happier with any employment situation.

That's the sort of situation I've been looking for.  It seems though
that about 90% of what comes up is large datacenters, and there seems to
be this catch-22 -- especially in the current job market -- that no-one
will hire you to work in a large 24x7 datacenter until you have experience
working in a large 24x7 datacenter.

> And, if you're in the mid-west, or want to be, let me know.  We're not
> "always hiring", but it's a smart, private company that has the good sense
> to hire good people when it can find 'em.

I have no philosophical objection to the midwest.  And none of us are
really doing well in North Carolina's humidity ...