[rescue] Re: Landscaping with technology

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jun 16 16:46:24 CDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 01:49:47PM -0700, Robert Novak wrote:

> > That sounds like the point at which a true BOFH could REALLY start to
> > have some fun.  :)
>
> A friend sent an audio file to a remote NeXT workstation to have it say
> "The printer is out of paper." The person at said workstation took 5-10
> minutes to realize there was no printer.

At one shop we had a guy from Africa, and while he spoke English, he
understood only part of the colloquialisms.

He also was blindingly naive, and quite gullible.

So someone sent sound files from a movie sound effects CD to his
workstation:

    "Ooooooooooo, yeah, baby I need you baaaaaaaaaaaaad."

    "Uh, ooooo, ah...."

    "Yes!  Yes!  Oh God!  Yes!"

Words could never describe the expression on his face.

The best audio-hack though was in college.  We had a network of systems,
and many had audio ability.  At the time we had network audio, but in
those days there basically was no security.

We didn't like one of the campus police officers, and so we had some
stuff set up so that as he left a room, the computers would say things:

    "Pssst, catch me if you can! <sound of footsteps running>"

Again, there are no words to describe the results.

> Almost as good as an apparently rare error message from some release of
> Netware that would give a "Drive D: is out of paper" error.

If you _really_ feel cruel, play around some time with on-call
escalation some time:

    beep! beep! beep!       "unauthorized root login on dsc3"