[rescue] Re: HP K-class graphics card

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Sun Jun 15 23:20:58 CDT 2003

>>  Hi Lads
>>
>>  My K570 just sprouted a head :-)
>>
>-snip -
>>
>>  This is the most gloriously silly thing I've ever seen on an HP 9000
>server. I cannot imagine what market this part was produced for - has
>anyone else ever seen one of these in a production environment?
>>
>I've heard of these, but never used (or seen) one.  I did get a quote
>for one while putting together a K box a while ago.  Don't remember how
>much it was though.
>
>I think they marketed a K-box (K460-80) as a deskside workstation for
>people who needed more cpus than any other workstation they offered
>(which I don't think any others could do cpus > 2).
>
>I suppose this is similar to putting a framebuffer in a L or N box
>(which I'm pretty sure you can do), but I think the card is just a
>plain
>  framebuffer with no fancy graphics power.

Hi Michael (and list)

I think I know of the part you mention. It is the little framebuffer card that usually gets put in the spare HSC slot on the core I/O board. From what I remember, that is the basic EG level framebuffer. The card I have is a full blown 24-bit Visualize card with a GEO 3D accelerator on a daughter board. It is a very strange creature indeed.

Regards,

Gavin