[rescue] HP K-class graphics card

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Sun Jun 15 21:23:05 CDT 2003

Hi Lads

My K570 just sprouted a head :-)

I've seen a large number of HP 9000 K-class machines over the last few years but I'v never seen one with a head - not surprising for what is really a commercial data processing platform. So when an HSC Visualise 48XP board appeared on EBay for $20, I _had_ to buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3022799041

Thae card arrived today and I've already got it up and running. The card seems to be functionally equivalent to the more common Visualise 48XP cards found in older (pre PCI) C & J class workstations athough with a vastly different form factor. It is about the size of an SGI Octane SSE board with a separate 3D accelerator daughter board and a TV daughter board that supports a genlock in, S-video out, and a composite video out. The main video out feeds through an EVC connector (DVI-I) and a spare HSC slot is also provided. In total, it has six PARISC cores on board dedicated to graphics operations.

This is the most gloriously silly thing I've ever seen on an HP 9000 server. I cannot imagine what market this part was produced for - has anyone else ever seen one of these in a production environment?

Best regards,

Gavin